Thursday, June 12, 2014

End Times by Anna Schumacher

I had gotten this in my swag bag when I went to Teen Author Carnival and after two (three?) weeks of running around and having no time to basically do anything I'm finally able to review it!

First let me start off by saying that even if I wouldn't have gotten this ARC I would have still picked it up. But the end result would have been the same: I wouldn't have liked the book. It seemed interesting but this book was so bogged down with religion and 'purpose' that it killed me. I know this sounds awful but most of the time I hate books with very religious characters/settings because of the fact of how I feel about religion: keep it to yourself and don't shove it down everyone others throats. On the other side of this I do not believe this book would be what it was WITHOUT that religion and the controversy brought into the town because of the very religious setting. Over-all it was a pretty predictable read which I didn't really like. The ending kind of left me hanging, as if another chapter was left out of the book. Not a lot of explanation went into some of the events that happened towards the end. Maybe this constitutes a sequel? I will most likely go into a B & N near me and read the ending of the book to see if that cliff hanger is still in there.

Now let me talk a little more about this setting and some of the events. Basically it's a pre-apocolyptic book (in my opinion) which basically starts in a religious southern town full of hicks. New comers come in and stir things up, chaos ensues. The ending 'twist' (if you can even call it that) was very predictable because the main character becomes something that most can predict what happens from the beginning. Over-all I give this read a 2 out of 5 for A) being predictable, B) not seeming to be finished (which I know happens with a lot of ARCs) and C) not keeping my attention. I encourage all to pick this book up in stores and read it for themselves because it did have some perfect insight into social workings and pack mentality, especially towards the end. And also how money and greed affect people. Enjoy this book if you pick it up, and please let me know if you do! Thanks, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment